When we have a patient in the hospital who is in a crisis and in need of a blood transfusion, we need to have a blood donor of the same species and blood type who is available to donate right away!
Please read over the criteria below to find out if your pet qualifies as a blood donor candidate. If he or she does qualify and you would like to add your pet to our blood donor list, please give us a call and we will set up an appointment for the initial blood draw.
In order to be considered for donating blood, your pet:
- Must have a calm temperament and be able to sit for a period of time without much movement.
- Must weigh between 55 lbs and 150 lbs.
- Must have had routine blood work done within the past 12 months (pre-operative lab work does qualify).
- Must be between 2 and 5 years of age.
- MUST BE on heartworm prevention, but not on any antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, or antihistamines for 14 days prior to donating.
- Must not have a medical history of seizures, heart murmur, or heart disease.
- Flea and tick prevention is preferred but not required.
Benefits of donating:
- We will run the following blood tests on your pet, free of charge:
- Ehrlichia canis
- Blood typing
- You will receive a $50 credit on your account every time your pet donates blood.